Mission & History
- Provide a fun, safe, and stimulating environment in which children can develop physically, creatively, socially, and emotionally;
- Foster a climate which emphasizes the values of citizenship, service, personal responsibility, self-discipline, and respect and compassion for others;
- Challenge campers with interactive and age-appropriate activities;
- Provide safe, secure facilities and supervise all camp activities with an outstanding and well-trained staff;
- Maintain a structure and philosophy which assures attention to the unique needs of each child;
- Take advantage of the many opportunities afforded by the diverse character of the Summer Programs, the outdoor environment, and the surrounding metropolitan area;
- Acknowledge each child’s special gifts and contributions.
Congressional Camp History
Congressional School’s history began in the fall of 1939 when it was founded by Evelyn and Malcolm Devers as an independent primary school. Congressional Camp’s history began in the summer of 1940, following the opening of the school, when Evelyn Devers offered a summer camp program at the Devers’ property on Carlin Springs Road, in Arlington. Over the summer, children explored the acreage, which was filled with horses, goats, sheep, cows, and chickens, and planted gardens where they grew vegetables. Horses were introduced onto the campus in 1953, and the young campers were welcomed and encouraged to ride. The horses became such a focal point of the summer program that eventually the colt became the Congressional School mascot.
On September 21, 1959, the Devers family opened the Congressional campus on Sleepy Hollow Road in Falls Church, Virginia where the school and camp have continued to grow in their histories of tradition and innovation. Campers still have many opportunities to explore our 40 acres, and, while we don’t have goats, sheep, cows, or chickens anymore, we do still have horses and ponies. We also have pools, a state-of-the-art gym, a high and low ropes challenge course, a 40-foot climbing tower, an archery range, air conditioned buildings for indoor activities, age-appropriate playgrounds, fields, a creek, and more!